Director of the Leadership in Museum Education Program
Position Vacancy - Director of the Leadership in Museum Education Program
Bank Street Graduate School of Education is seeking a director for the Leadership in Museum Education Program. The program director is responsible for all aspects of this nationally recognized program in museum education and leadership. Students are mid-career working professionals who currently come to New York City for monthly weekend classes over a period of two years. The Graduate School is seeking a director to lead this program in a time of changes in the museum and higher education worlds. The knowledge, skills and dispositions of the successful candidate include:
- Deep understanding of the challenges currently facing the museum world, including strategies for expanding audiences and the changing nature of the patron and his or her experience;
- Entrepreneurial and able to develop new programming, student markets and delivery systems;
- Understanding of the potential and uses of online instruction in museum education;
- Understanding of the growing national and international world of museums and the impact globalization has on museums;
- Knowledge of the current research in the field of museum education; and
- The changing role of the museum educator.
The Director will:
- Oversee all aspects of the current Master’s degree program;
- Be responsible for recruiting, screening, accepting, and orienting new students;
- Leading the faculty of the program;
- Planning and overseeing the budgets and schedules of the program;
- Teaching and advising in the program and Graduate School, commensurate with expertise; and
- Participating in service to the Department, Division, and Institution.
The successful candidate must have significant professional experience and expertise in leading in the museum environment and a master’s degree in education, museum studies, or related field, doctoral degree preferred.
We will begin to review applications February 1, 2013 and will continue to review applications until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of interest, current CV and writing sample to: email@example.com.
Bank Street College of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer, candidates of traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.