Lower and Middle Schools Learning Specialist
- Department: School for Children
- Start Date: Sep 01, 2014
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
Position Vacancy – Lower and Middle Schools (n-grade 2) Learning Specialist
FULL TIME 1-YEAR SABBATICAL LEAVE REPLACEMENT
- Special Education degree desired
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with young children with special needs
- Knowledge and experience in integrated and mainstreamed setting
- The learning specialist works collaboratively with teachers, coordinators, the school psychologist and the dean to support and evaluate the strengths and weakness of children ages 3-7 in this age group with learning disabilities.
- The learning specialist develops and administers diagnostic tools to evaluate the strength and weakness of all 5 and 6 year olds and to identify the learning needs of these children.
- The learning specialist works with teachers to adapt curriculum to meet the learning needs of children.
- Learning specialist meets with parents to increase their knowledge of the children to help organize any interventions that are necessary.
- Support children with learning difficulties through direct contact with children, meetings with parents and outside professionals and agencies (e.g. tutors, The Bd. Of Ed., outside evaluators; chairs Clinical Team meetings
- As a cooperating practitioner for graduate students, the Learning Specialist works with reading students who are placed in classrooms and holds weekly supervisory meetings.
- An interest in his or her professional growth is expected. The Learning Specialist meets bi-weekly with the school Psychologist and participates in age group meetings and staff meetings.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
STARTING DATE SEPTEMBER 1, 2014
Bank Street College of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, or disability in its employment policies and other college administered programs.