Bank Street Goes GooglePosted by Christina D'aiello on October 05, 2011
In September 2010, the College began a process to evaluate its use of email at the College. The process began with a survey of staff, whose results were used to better understand the College's email needs. The next steps included evaluating available options along with a cost comparison. The end result supported a decision to migrate to an outsourced email solution, namely Google Mail, which would meet the College's requirements for a flexibile, reliable, and scalable email solution.
Stay tuned to email notification requesting for volunteer Google Guides to help with the next step in the migration to Google Mail!
- Fall 2010: A survey was distributed to gather statistics regarding College e-mail use. The results of this survey provided useful information helping CIS better understand the College's Email needs and plan for the future.
- Winter 2010: A comprehensive technology-oriented analysis was conducted of our present Email system, GroupWise. Using the results of the Email survey as a baseline of data, the CIS department reviewed GroupWise versus Google for Email.
- March 2011: Cabinet approved the recommendation for the College to migrate to Google.
- April 2011: Several drop-in sessions were held and FAQs sent out to staff
- May and June 2011: Additional emails were sent out to gather details from the community
- Summer 2011: Final agreements were signed with Google
- September 2011: Members of CIS were successfully migrated to Google