School-Parent Collaborations: Working as a Team
Focus on: Grades Ages 1-9
Course number: TEWS714N
This workshop is aimed at teachers and daycare providers who want to work more effectively and productively with parents in order to promote children's growth and well-being. Daycares and schools are often first to raise concerns about issues with children's intellectual, emotional, or physical development. We will discuss how to make conversations on these sensitive topics go more smoothly and produce more positive outcomes. We'll also discuss parent-school collaboration at crucial moments including:
- Early intervention
- The beginning and end of the school year;
- The need for outside evaluation of a child;
- Diagnosis of a developmental or learning disability;
- The emergence of challenging behaviors or exceptional talents;
- A crisis in the family such as divorce, death, new sibling, or move;
- Transitions from semester to semester, season to season, grade to grade, preschool to elementary school.
Participants will walk away with an array of practical strategies for working with parents, a wealth of resources to support them in collaborating with families to help children bloom, and a renewed sense of the sanctity of their work as educators.
Saturday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
1 CEU $275 (not offered for credit)
Materials fee $10
Registration Deadline: 4/18