Supervised Fieldwork Advisor; Course Instructor
Some of the Values that Shape My Work
Work with Families, Children, Schools, and Communities
- Advocate and practitioner of Dual Language education
- Dual Language professional developer
- work with schools and their communities to implement Dual Language programs, to instill the value of multilingualism for all and the appreciation for and preservation of our linguistic and cultural roots
- Founded the Dual Language Parent Committee at PS 87 in Manhattan in 1992
- Facilitated workshops on Dual Language education in various schools with Dual Language programs in the New York region: Tarrytown, Peekskill, New Rochelle, Cypress Hills Community School, District 3 and 6 in Manhattan and Newark, NJ.
Recent Professional Contributions
- “One child, many languages: Supports for educational success." Early Childhood Conference, Queens, NY, May 29, 2013.
- TWIOP for Oracy Development. Bilingual Symposium, New York City Department of Education, March 23, 2013.
- “Dual Language Learners in the Classroom: Strategies for Success." English Language Learners Parent Conference, ACS NYC, January 11, 2013.
- Ph.D., Applied Linguistics, City University of New York
- M.A., Applied Linguistics, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
- B.A., English Language, Literature and Translation, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina
Selected Publications and Presentations
Costa, L. (2012). Tapping the oral traditions to support language development. Conference presentation, Dual Language Learners Conference. ACS, New York.
Garro, L., & Romero, O. (2000). L1 teachers and L2 students: What K-3 mainstream classroom teachers know and need to know about English language learners. In J. Tinajero & R. DeVillar (Eds.), The power of two languages (pp. 45-57). New York: MacMillan & McGraw.
Garro, L. (1999, July 10). Bilingual schooling that works. The New York Times, p. A12.
Garro, L. (1999). One friend, dos amigos, twa zammi. Miami Herald, pp. A13.
Garro, L. (1995). Creativity: The art of connecting. Seeds of Unfolding, 12(1), 8-12.
Garro, L. (1991). Embracing the world of children. Seeds of Unfolding, 8(1), 26-28.
Garro, L., & Parker, F. (1983). Relative suprasegmental characteristics. Journal of Phonetics II, 85-99.
Garro, L., & Parker, F. (1982). Some suprasegmental characteristics of relative clauses in English. Journal of Phonetics, 10, 149-161.