Director, Future School Leaders Academy
Some of the Values that Shape My Work
Work with Families, Children, Schools, and Communities
- Program evaluator for schools and districts (e.g. dropout prevention, high school to college and careers).
- Professional development consultant on curriculum and organizational matters for schools and districts.
- School improvement consultant to support low-performing schools make achievement progress.
- Leadership development specialist for districts and consortia of school and district leaders.
Recent Professional Contributions
- Leadership Institute seminar series for interns and school and district leaders on diversity and on family and community engagement.
- Superintendent Seminar Series for new and experienced superintendents in New York and Rhode Island.
- Collaborative Inquiry for principal professional development in New York.
- Leadership preparation program development and evaluation for university faculty at national professional associations.
- Vice President, Division A-American Educational Research Association (2012-2015).
- Executive Committee member, American Educational Research Association.
- President, Metropolitan Council of Educational Administration Programs (NYC).
- Ph.D., Educational Administration, Columbia University
- M.A. and M.Ed., Educational Administration, Teachers College, Columbia University
- B.A., Sociology, Denison University
Selected Publications and Presentations
Orr, M. T., O’Dogherty, A., & Barber, M. (2012). Developing a purposeful and coherent leadership preparation curriculum. Charlottesville, VA: University Council of Educational Administration.
Orr, M. T., & Orphanos, S. (2011). How graduate-level preparation influences the effectiveness of school leaders: A comparison of the outcomes of innovative and conventional leadership preparation programs on principals. Educational Administration Quarterly, 47(1), 18-70.
Orr, M. T., King, C., LaPointe, M. (2010). Districts developing leaders: Lessons on consumer actions and program approaches from eight urban districts. Newton, Massachusetts: EDC.
Orr, M. T. (2009). Program evaluation in leadership preparation and related fields. In M. D. Young & G. Crow (Eds.), Handbook of Research on the Education of School Leaders (pp. 457-498). New York: Routledge.
Darling-Hammond, L., Meyerson, D., LaPointe, M., & Orr, M. T. (2009). Preparing school leaders for a changing world. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Orr, M. T., Berg, B., Shore, R., & Meier, E. (2008). Putting the pieces together: Leadership for change in low-performing urban schools. Education and Urban Society, 40(6), 670-693.
Byrne-Jimenez, M. & Orr, M. T. (2007). Developing effective principals through collaborative inquiry. New York: Teachers College Press.
Orr, M. T. (2006). Learning the superintendency: Socialization, negotiation, determination. Teachers College Record 108(7), 1362-1403.