Dean of the Graduate School
Some of the Values that Shape My Work
Education is the means by which societies and cultures perpetuate and flourish. The human condition may be judged based on the extent to which access to education and leadership are equitably and fully shared by all.
Work with Families, Children, Schools, and Communities
At the National Association of State Boards of Education, I worked extensively with local and state boards of education to support the development of teachers and schools that include students with disabilities as a civil right as well as educational imperative. I have also worked with families who strive for equity for their children in both the schools and community through participation in The ARC, TASH (The Associate for the Severely Handicapped) and local Community Mental Health Board in Alexandria, Virginia.
Recent Professional Contributions
- 2012 William J. Davis Research Award for Outstanding Scholarship, University Council for Educational Administration
- Editor, Educational Planning, 2010 to present
- Member, Board of Directors, International Society of Educational Planning, 2011 to present
- Associate Professor, The George Washington University, to 2011; successfully chaired over 30 doctoral dissertations on educational leadership
- Member and Co-Chair of 2010 Annual Conference, National Conference of Professors of Educational Administration
- Ed.D., Educational Administration, Teachers College, Columbia University
- M.A.S., Public Administration, The Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., Special Education of the Mentally Retarded and Elementary Education, Michigan State University
Selected Publications and Presentations
Wright, T. , Roach, V., & Yukins, B. (in press). Is that all there is? GLBTQ adolescent support in the best of circumstances: One family’s story. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership.
Roach, V., Lemasters, L., & Dannels, S. (2011). Women (and men) in the superintendency: Understanding self in relationship to others. Paper presented at the 2011 American Educational Research Association Annual Conference. New Orleans, Louisiana, April 10, 2011.
Roach, V. (2011). Breaking the glass ceiling: A comparative study of women in high-level educational leadership. Paper presented at the 2011 Comparative International Education Society Annual Conference. Montreal, Quebec, May 3, 2011.
Roach, V., Smith, W., & Boutin, J. (2011). School leadership policy trends and developments: Policy expediency or policy excellence? Educational Administration Quarterly 47(1), 71-113. DOI: 10.1177/0011000010378611
Roach, V., & El-Khawas, E. (2010). Gender equity in the university: The unmet agenda. Forum on Public Policy, 2010 (2). Retrieved from http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/spring2010.vol2010/spring2010archive/roach.rev.pdf.
Tekleselassie, A., & Roach, V. (2010). How strategic are district strategic plans? Paper presended at the International Society for Educational Planning Annual conference. Alexandria, Virginia, October 9, 2010.
Roach, V., & Corbin-Staten, A. (2010). Contexts of parental involvement: An interpretive synthesis of qualitative literature using the meta-interpretation method. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Conference. Denver, Colorado, May 1, 2010.