Develop creative ways to help children understand and use mathematical concept
Earn professional certification in the area of your initial certification
The Teacher Leader in Mathematics program prepares mathematics teachers and coaches to play key roles in their schools' instructional improvement efforts. Candidates focus intensively on mathematics pedagogy and professional development, with a view toward becoming effective teacher leaders, master teachers, coaches, or new teacher mentors. Courses and fieldwork stress effective change strategies, with an emphasis on mathematics education, and provide experience in research and professional development. This program is geared to non-supervisory roles.
Those applicants who have a strong interest in mathematics and aspire to such leadership roles as principal, assistant principal, or department chair should consider Bank Street's Leadership in Mathematics Education program.
- Take coursework in the summer. You will take courses during the July term at Bank Street for three summers and will complete your Supervised Fieldwork along with independent projects, papers and research during the two intervening academic years. This means that candidates do not need to reside in the NYC metropolitan area.
- Study with a group of passionate educators. You will become part of a strong professional network. Your fellow candidates may be early childhood, elementary or middle-grades teachers, and coaches but share a commitment to excellent, innovative mathematics pedagogy as a key component of education reform.
- Move into leadership roles while continuing your classroom teaching. Supervised fieldwork generally takes place at your own site. Graduates generally remain in the classroom while taking on teacher leader roles in their schools.
- Teacher leader roles in schools: Graduates qualify for a wide variety of non-supervisory roles such as team leader, coach, peer coach, new teacher mentor, curriculum developer, inquiry team member.
- Leadership roles in other settings: This program can strengthen your candidacy for positions in other organizations that study, support, publish, or otherwise seek improvement in the field of mathematics education.
Certification in Education
Program completion leads to:
- New York State Professional Teacher Certification. Graduates are eligible for professional New York State certification in the area of their first certification
Courses at Bank Street provide students with the opportunity to engage in readings, discussions, direct experience, and reflection, encouraging a constant interplay between theory and practice. Explore the courses for the Teacher Leader in Mathematics program.
- Supervised by an advisor with a strong background in mathematics pedagogy.
- Extends over the entire course of the program, with intensive projects undertaken during the two academic years that come between the three July residencies.
- Generally located at the site where you currently work, with visits from your Bank Street advisor and support from your on-site mentor.
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong teacher leader potential.
- Demonstrated interest in mathematics education, but no specific math coursework or background required.
- Initial New York State teacher certification
- See the Admissions Criteria.