Develop your vision for school leadership
Earn School Building Leader certification
Leadership for Educational Change is Bank Street's most flexible leadership preparation program. Candidates qualify for a wide variety of educational leadership roles in NYC and beyond (including international work). They work in both public and independent schools. Candidates can use elective courses to focus on special education leadership or to qualify for dual certification (in school and district leadership).
- Proceed at your own pace. You will plan your individual program with your advisor. You can attend courses during the academic year and during summers.
- Move into leadership roles while continuing your present job. Supervised fieldwork generally takes place at your own site.
- Delve deeply into school reform. Action research geared to school improvement is an emphasis of the program.
- Supervisory roles in schools, e.g. principal, assistant principal, head of school, department chair, staff developer, coach.
- Teacher leader roles, e.g. teacher leader, teacher mentor, peer coach, curriculum developer, instructional specialist.
- Supervisory roles in districts (with dual certification option), e.g. superintendent, assistant superintendent, district curriculum coordinator, district staff development coordinator.
- Other educational leadership roles: educational administrator in a non-school setting
Certification in Education
- NYS School Building Leader (SBL) certification for those who meet qualifications and pass the state assessments.
- NYS School District Leader (SDL) certification for those who opt for dual certification, meet the qualifications, and pass the state assessments.
Courses at Bank Street provide students with the opportunity to engage in readings, discussions, direct experience, and reflection, encouraging a constant interplay between theory and practice. Explore the courses for the Leadership for Educational Change master's degree program.
The integration of coursework and field experiences is central to a Bank Street Education.
- Supervised by a Bank Street advisor who is an experienced school leader.
- Extends over two semesters, typically in the second year of the program.
- Generally located at the site where you currently work, with visits from your advisor and mentoring from your site supervisor.
- Includes a weekly 'conference group' with 5-7 peers and an advisor.
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong leadership potential
- To qualify for SBL certification, candidates must have successfully completed three years of teaching or pupil personnel service work in N-12 settings.
- For dual certification requirements, see our School District Leader program.
- See the Admissions Criteria.