Most courses are offered in a weekend format
A non-degree course sequence leading to SDL certification for qualified candidates
School District Leadership (5 credits or 11 credits). This unique, non-degree course sequence is for people who anticipate moving into supervisory roles encompassing more than one school. It provides intensive preparation in district leadership, with an emphasis on strengthening teaching and learning for all students.
- Qualify for New York State School District Leader (SDL) Certification. This New York State certification can only be earned through participation in an approved program such as ours. Individual transcript review is no longer an option.
- An 11-credit option for those who completed their School Building Leader (SBL) program at another institution.
- A 5-credit option for qualified Bank Street Leadership students and graduates within the last 8 years. Candidates who need additional coursework to reach the 60 graduate credits may take electives that do not duplicate prior coursework.
- Delve deeply into district reform strategies. Effective district improvement strategies are an emphasis of the program. It has a special focus on meeting the needs of learners with special needs.
- Supervisory roles in school districts, e.g. Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent, curriculum specialist, professional development specialist.
- Supervisory roles in central offices: Some school systems (including the New York City Department of Education) have other supervisory roles encompassing multiple schools, such as Network Leader or Cluster Leader, as well as positions in the central office that require SDL certification.
- Leadership roles in county, state, or national educational organizations. SDL certification may strengthen your candidacy for a variety of roles in organizations dedicated to supporting, studying, or otherwise improving educational systems.
Certification in Education
To be eligible for recommendation to New York State for School District Leader (SDL) certification, candidates must have completed the following:
- 60 credits at the graduate level
- Three years of classroom teaching and/or pupil personnel service in public or non-public N-12 schools
- Pass the New York State assessments for School District Leader
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong leadership potential
- Applicants typically have a master's degree in educational leadership and hold a valid SAS or SBL certificate
- See the Admissions Criteria.