When should I get fingerprinted?
Once you become a Bank Street graduate student, you are encouraged to get fingerprinted as soon as possible. Processing time varies and delays in processing can cause you setbacks as you try to obtain certification and employment, even as a student teacher.
How do I get fingerprinted for Certification?
- Go to TEACH and apply for fingerprint clearance.
- Obtain a fingerprinting packet from the Registrar's Office.
- Complete the Consent Forms.
- Complete the top portion of the Fingerprint Cards.
- Get the Fingerprint Processing Fee
- Contact your local Police Precinct (if in NYC) or State Police barracks (outside of NYC) to find out when fingerprints are taken.
- Get Fingerprinted.
- Send the Complete Fingerprint Packet to OSPRA: Please send your completed packet to OSPRA in the preaddressed envelope provided by OSPRA. A complete fingerprint packet to mail to OSPRA must include:
a. Signed completed Consent Form (OSPRA 101)
b. Two properly completed and signed FBI cards
c. Certified check, bank check, money order, school district check or contract service provider check for $99
How do I get fingerprinted for fieldwork and/or EDUC991?
Contact Dara Eisenstein at 212-875-4461.
How do I know that my fingerprints and background check has been cleared?
If there is no criminal history, OSPRA will automatically issue a clearance but you will not be notified in writing. If there is a criminal history, the matter is reviewed by OSPRA to determine whether there is any basis for a possible denial of clearance.
How will the New York State Department of Education know that my fingerprints and background have cleared?
The New York State Office of Teaching Initiatives is automatically notified that the individual is cleared for certification after OSPRA has reviewed both the DCJS and FBI criminal history reports and determined that there is no basis for a possible denial of clearance.
How will the New York City Department of Education know that my fingerprints and background have cleared?
The information can be sent to the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) by filing the OSPRA-103 form. You can find more information and download the OSPRA-103 form (pdf) on their website.
What if I was already fingerprinted by the New York City Department of Education?
Applicants must complete an Authorization to Forward Criminal History Record Information from the City School District of the City of New York to the New York State Education Department (OSPRA 104) form and mail it to the NYCDOE at the address on the form. You can find more information and download the OSPRA-104 form on their website.