Getting Certified in New York through Reciprocity
If you intend to enroll in a single certification program in areas such as special education, literacy, or curriculum and instruction, you must have a valid New York State certificate in general education. If you hold a certificate from another state, you can apply for New York certification through interstate reciprocity. Follow these steps to obtain your certificate in a timely manner.
- Set up a profile in the TEACH system, New York State’s online certification database, by going to http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/teach/. Click on Self-Register.
- After you create an account, apply for fingerprint clearance. Applying for clearance through TEACH gives you priority status so that your fingerprints are processed more quickly. Pick up the fingerprint packet in the Registrar’s office and contact a local police precinct to get information on the days and times that fingerprints are taken. Mail the complete fingerpring packet to OSPRA.
- Enter your educational information and work experience in your TEACH account. Be as accurate as possible and be sure to include all relevant work experience.
- Go to www.nystce.nesinc.com for the current exam schedule and to register for the appropriate New York State exams. If you are not sure about what exams are required for the certificate, go to bankstreet.edu/graduate-school/student-resources/registrars-office/certification/. Your test scores will be reported to you and to the New York State Department of Education (NYSED) about four weeks after your exam. If you don’t complete the process by April 20, 2014, you will be required to complete the new battery of tests.
- Request transcripts from all institutions that you attended. We suggest that you have the transcripts sent to you and that you send them directly to the state with a return receipt requested. DO NOT OPEN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS! You should write your social security number on the outside of the transcript envelopes to ensure that they are applied to your account appropriately. Be sure to include a photo copy of any teaching certificate(s) that you hold. Send materials to:
Office of Teaching Initiatives
New York State Department of Education
5N Education Building
Albany, NY 12234
- Take the Child Abuse and SAVE Workshops and submit completion certificates or transcripts indicating completion to NYSED. You can take the workshops at Bank Street. Check the Graduate School Course Schedule for a list of dates and times.
- Apply for an initial certificate through the website notes in #1 above. Be sure to apply via the Pathway: Interstate Reciprocity.
- When see your New York State certificate in TEACH, be sure to notify Seena Berg at email@example.com.