Tiorati Science Program for Schools
Bank Street’s Tiorati Science Program for Schools is a professional development program that bridges classroom learning with the natural environment. Tiorati educators work directly with individual districts, schools, and teachers to design inquiry-oriented learning experiences that address the curricular needs of the school. Custom packages are available and generally include the following features:
One-on-one coaching for faculty at the school with Tiorati educators which could involve:
- Planning, enacting, reflecting, and assessing curricula that use an inquiry and hands-on approach to learning;
- Working to address the CCSS and the NYS Science Core Curriculum;
- Meeting the individual needs of diverse students;
- Integrating science with ELA, mathematics, social studies, or the arts.
Faculty retreats and/or student trips to the Tiorati Science Program for Schools in Harriman State Park which provides:
- First-hand experience learning in the outdoors with an inquiry and hands-on approach to learning;
- A model of leveraging observations of the natural environment to support learning;
- An appreciation for the natural environment outside the city.